Holy Trinity Church, Messingham

Bells

Details of the current and previous rings of bells are taken from 'Lincolnshire Bells and Bellfounders' - compiled and edited by John R Ketteringham

Details of the current ring of bells
Bell Inscriptions Note Weight
1 JOHN TAYLOR FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH 1947    
  THANKS BE TO GOD FOR VICTORY 1939-1945 F Sharp 3-0-24
2 1785 RECAST 1984 E 4-1-16
3 1785 RECAST 1984 D 5-0-0
4 1785 RECAST 1984 C 6-1-10
5 1785 RECAST 1899 B 7-1-5
6 GLORY BE TO GOD ON HIGH 1630    
  RECAST 1899 A 9-1-26

The bells are rung from the ground floor. The inventory of 1553 recorded that there were at that time 'iij gret belles one sanctus bell'. A faculty wa granted on 23rd July 1784 for the rebuilding of the steeple and for the recasting 'of the present bells into five weighing 35cwt or more'. It would seem that Walker and Hilton of Wath on Dearne Yorkshire left one of the existing bells as the tenor and recast the remaining into four making a ring of five. Known details of the present fifth and tenor bells before recasting in 1899 are as follows: 5. Dia 34". 6. Dia 37" weight 9cwt 1qr 11lbs.

Details of the bells of 1785 before recasting in 1984 are

2 1785 Dia 27" 3-2-2
3 1785 Dia 30.5" 4-3-16
4 WALKER & HILTON 1785 Dia 32" 6-0-13

bells

bells

©2019 Holy Trinity Church, Messingham.
All Rights Reserved